Napier Museum Trivandrum
The Napier Museum Trivandrum is one of the most ancient Museums built in the 19th centuries. The IndoSarcenic structure boasts a natural air-conditioning system and the entire design of the house displays rarity in all ways.
Inside the museum you will find A very rare collection of archaeological artefacts, the historical bronze idols, ancient ornaments, the grand temple chariot and ivory carvings. The usage of plastics is banned in the museum premises to preserve the environment.
Napier is one of the prominent Trivandrum museums that showcases it history. It is a place to explore Kerala’s art and culture. It is also called the Government Art Museum
Napier museum has a lot of architectural importance. It is one of the rare structures available. Before becoming a museum, it housed mansions. These mansions have been converted into museums. The forest in the surrounding region was converted into zoo. Today the forest area is prominently known as the Trivandrum zoo.
Red mount blocks were used to raise the structure. The wooden work makes the museum intricate and extremely appealing. The carvings on the wood make the museum a structure of architectural importance.
Who can visit:
While the museum is not limited for visit to specific kind of visitors it is however highly recommended place to visit for history buffs, art and craft admirers, students and scholars.
Timings & Fees
It is open from 10.00am till 6.45pm. Indians have a moderate fee to pay however it differs for foreign visitors.
Napier museum is located 6km from the city. You will have to reach Trivandrum and travel towards the southernmost tip of the Indian peninsula. The international airport connects makes accessibility to the place easy for both domestic and international tourists.
Things to do near the museum
Besides touring the museum there are lot of things you can do around the museum.
- If you are travelling with family and kids then you can head to the shri chitra art gallery, Priyadarshini planetarium, Trivandrum zoo and children park.
- If you like more history then head to the Natural museum, Kerala museum of history and heritage, legislative museum etc
- For a cultural treat you can head to Kanakakunnu palace, Tagore theatre, Kalabhavana theatre, etc
- For tech savvy travellers head to Kerala science and technology museum,
- For a holistic treat head to the PazhavangadiGanapathy temple, SreePadmanbhasamy temple, etc
- Head to Connemara market for some shopping experience
Napier museum makes for an interesting destination worth visiting in Trivandrum.